Nova Scotia Health Authority
Pulled from the full job description
Req ID: 144056
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Eastern Zone, Cape Breton Regional Hospital
Department: NFS Patient Food Services CBR
Type of Employment: Temporary Hourly FT long-assignment (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: UNIFOR Support Position
Posting Closing Date: 8-Nov-22
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there’s a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with a Nova Scotia Health role means you’ll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
The Utility Worker, Nutrition & Food Services works in the patient and retail food service setting. Reporting to the Manager/Food Service Supervisor, the Utility Worker may be responsible for preparing and serving meals and supplies to patients, residents, Veterans, staff, families and customers. Additionally, they are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing patient trays, related equipment and workplaces. The Utility Worker supports safe food handling procedures and provides overall service excellence. The Utility Worker performs several key work activities across the site.
Key Work Activities: Percentages of time allocated in the Key Work Activities are dependent upon the size and role they fulfil.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Performs needed cleaning of pots and pans using the potting machine. When necessary, uses the dish machine to clean the service ware.
2. Ensures that the general workspace is kept tidy and in order at all times. Performs checks on the equipment to ensure that it is registering the correct temperatures. Maintains a log of daily temperature readings. When working, the individual wears disposable gloves and follows proper sanitation protocols before handling utensils, food, or other items. Performs a careful and thorough cleaning of the workstation before moving on to other tasks.
3. The floors in the kitchen are swept, mopped, and scrubbed. Exhibits vigilance toward locations that require attention to prevent the spread of infection or harmful situations, such as obstructing traffic sections, wet flooring, and other similar issues.
4. Prepares trays for normal and therapeutic diets using appropriate ingredients. Maintains a high level of care and attention to detail when preparing and portioning specialised foods required for patient tray service. Immediately report to the stations or trayline at the beginning time that has been specified. Always ensure that the workstation is stocked with the appropriate food supplies. Notifies the supervisor immediately of any food shortages or equipment problems on the trayline.
5. Carries out other duties relating to the position as required, including but not limited to the following responsibilities: Maintains a daily ice supply for the soda machine. Daily maintenance of soda and juice dispensers.
6. Attends in-service sessions whenever they are necessary.
Participating in receiving and storing supplies (food and non-food) using First In First Out (FIFO)
Receive and interpret patient diet/meal orders; confirm patient meal requirements
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
Grade 12/GED or equivalent, or demonstrated skills and/or relevant work experience, equivalency must be clearly stated in your cover letter and resume
Demonstrated competency in English and basic Math
Pot Room requires the following (only for employees working in the Pot Room)
Special footwear may be required for some food service areas – the employer will reimburse for the cost of safety shoes up to the amount noted in the Collective Agreement
Heavy lifting (i.e., large industrial bakeware/cookware, mixing bowls)
Physically demanding, repetitive tasks
Please ensure your resume is up to date and includes all relevant education, experience, training, and certifications.
Long assignment, full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
Compensation and Incentives
$17.09 – $17.80 Hourly
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Support bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, before accepting the position.
As per the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Protocol in High-Risk Settings, Nova Scotia Health requires all team members to be fully vaccinated by November 30th, 2021.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, or 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.
Wait for A Second. Your Direct Link Is Being Generated After seconds. During this seconds of waiting, our Artificial Intelligent HR System searching for proper job application link for you. You can click on link after this countdown. Thank you for your patience and understanding.